10 Superfoods that Aid Hair Growth
Everyone desires to have lustrous and healthy hair. Whether you are a male or a female, chances are that you invest in some kind of care for your hair. Healthy hair is also a representation of a healthy body. If your hair growth is good, it means that your body is not deficient on nutrients. Hair is made of cells of a tough protein called keratin. You need protein sources, vitamins and minerals to aid hair growth and keep your locks looking lovely.
Here are 10 super foods that you should be consuming to aid hair growth:
- Eggs: Hair is made of proteins. Eggs are a good source of proteins. Consequently, you must include eggs in your daily diet to take care of your hair. Protein is the building blocks of your hair. Rather than taking artificial protein sources, include eggs in your daily diet to fulfil your daily protein requirements.
- Green leafy vegetables: Iron is an important mineral needed by your hair. When you include spinach and other green leafy vegetables in your diet, you nourish your hair. Sometimes, iron deficiency can cause hair loss. Iron is an important component of the blood. When you are deficient in iron, your blood transports less oxygen and follicles to your hair roots. As a result, hair growth gets retarded. Check your iron levels in blood and include iron-rich green leafy vegetables in your diet.
- Berries: Berries are emerging as a great superfood. They have rich anti-oxidant properties. These anti-oxidants protect hair follicles from damage from free radicals. Berries also give Vitamin C which are is essential for your hair growth. Vitamin C helps the body to produce collagen that helps to strengthen the hair. As a result, hair does not become brittle and break.
- Fatty Fish: Fish is great for hair growth as it is full of proteins and Omega-3 fatty acids. Fatty fish provides minerals like selenium and vitamins D3 and B. All of these are good for hair health and aid hair growth. Including fish oil in your meals can also be helpful.
- Avocados: Avocado is a rich source of Vitamin E which helps in promoting hair growth. On an average, you get 21% of your daily Vitamin E needs when you consume a medium avocado of about 200 grams. Vitamin E is also an antioxidant and has protective properties. It protects the scalp from stress and damage due to oxidants. Avocados also provide essential fatty acids that prevent hair loss.
- Nuts & Seeds: Nuts like almonds and walnuts are good for your overall health and hair growth. These contain nutrients like Vitamin E, zinc and essential fatty acids which are great for your hair. Similarly, seeds like sunflower seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, and pumpkin seeds should be included in your normal daily diet to fulfill your Omega-3 fatty acid requirement.
- Beans: Amongst all plant sources, beans are a great source of protein which is imperative for hair growth. Beans also contain zinc in good quantities. Zinc is essential for regularity of your hair growth cycle. The added advantages of beans are that they include nutrients like iron, biotin and folate, all essential for hair health.
- Citrus Fruits: Absorption is aided by Vitamin C that citrus fruits provide to our body. Vitamin C is also needed for producing collagen. This collagen is responsible for creating capillaries that connect the hair shafts. Eating the right amounts of citrus fruits can take care of your hair growth by keeping the hair shafts healthy. In this manner, the supply of nutrients to the hair will remain intact.
- Whole Grains: Whole grains contain biotin, zinc, and Vitamin B. These are important for hair growth as they aid cell proliferation. They are also important for the production of amino acids. These amino acids are the building blocks of protein which is essentially what our consists of.
- Carrots: Carrots are rich in Vitamin A and a glass of carrot juice every day aids in cell growth. Hair has the fastest growing tissues in the body and Vitamin A helps in the growth of all cells of the body. Vitamin A also helps in the production of sebum. Sebum is the natural oil of the scalp which keeps the hair healthy and prevents it from getting dry.
Eating small quantities of these food items as part of your everyday diet makes a lot of difference. When you give your hair, the nourishment that it needs, your hair will also provide you with the look that you love.